Monday, February 23, 2009

The Special Event - San Diego '09


I was very fortunate recently as I was awarded an ISES scholarship to attend The Special Event in San Diego in January.
For five days I attended classes by some of the top event designers and vendors in the United States. I had the pleasure of seeing everything from top floral designers Hitomi Gilliam and Rene van Rems in action to learning the elements of linen couture, the art of fabrication and the ins & outs of lighting. The amount of educational classes that TSE offers is amazing, there were so many options and I did attend as many as possible – I only wish I could have figured out how to be in two places at the same time, granted I feel that way on a daily basis. ;) I felt enlightened when taking classes such as: “Woman Inc Female Entrepreneurs” and “Meet The Masters” where veterans of the event planning society take the stage and talk through the good, the bad and the ugly of events. I was impressed with how candid they could be and their great ability to keep the audience laughing and engaged.
The Special Event offered a huge trade show were I was able to peruse aisle after aisle of event props, linens (tons of linens), floral wholesalers, feather vendors, crystal chandelier makers, hot lounge furniture, the list goes on and on… perhaps the trade show was the most fun of the week? After all, I selected a few new candelabra and other props for us to carry here at Bella Fiori plus a few new linen companies design books.
Other fun parts of TSE? Attending the Designer Wedding Gallery! Amazing and I mean amazing displays of table top décor with gorgeous floral designs. We viewed a few rooms of these displays plus one room of wonderful cake designs. We (Michelle Gillette, Wendy Foster and I) peaked into the room that had held the wedding luncheon and we were able to get an up-close look at the centerpieces. No surprise, Wendy and I were examining the mechanics behind the centerpieces. We also got to taste yummy cupcakes that were offered during the luncheon.
Another great thing about TSE and perhaps the most important part?! Getting to know the vendors you already work with here in Denver a little bit better. Lunches and dinners together to chat about the seminars you attended, who you met and what you are excited to try once returning to Denver.
I will admit it didn’t hurt to be in sunny San Diego during January either.

1 comment:

Flower Design Events said...

This sounds so amazing I wish there was stuff like this in Europe

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails